Monday, June 2, 2014

at home

I suppose you still might be interested in what is going on. I've been home for a week and things are going as well as possible. I'm eating small amounts and also living off being tube fed around 1200 calories a day. The tube feeding will hopefully be a temporary situation (4-6 weeks).

























My doctors want me to have as many calories as possible for healing. I'm on a soft food diet for 4-6 weeks and then can expand and experiment to see what works with my new system. My incision is healing and looking like a roller coaster across my abdomen. It's pretty huge, but I'm trying to limit my intake of pain medication. I have a surgical follow up tomorrow and an oncology appointment the following week. We got pathology back while I was still in the hospital and the mitotic rate of the tumor was very slow which is great news for the long term prognosis. He said the tumor had been growing for years and years. I will likely be on the Gleevec for a few years to prevent recurrence. My surgeon assured us it wasn't the medication making me feel so bad the last few months, it was the small watermelon sized tumor filled with blood that was making me miserable. Imagine that.

------------------------------------------

The last part of the hospital stay was really rough for me. I was going a little nuts from being cooped up in a hospital for 15 of the 25 nights of May. I was nauseated and couldn't eat and my birthday was coming up, etc. It was not a good time. I ended up taking an anti-anxiety med the last two nights because I wanted to crawl out of my skin. My friends were the best as always and brought the party to me on my birthday. There were party hats, streamers, jello shots and a jello cake. The best. I cried as they left because I wanted so badly to be leaving with them.

























I broke out the next day and came home to a mountain of packages and cards that were so generous and kind. My mom got here before surgery and just left to go home today. Holly also flew up for the last few days and now my sister, Shelly, is here for the week. I'm a lucky and very, very (I hate this word) blessed girl. Things couldn't have gone better unless I was actually able to have kept my organs. I will also share that I came home from the hospital 10 pounds lighter than when I went in. That's a heavy tumor!

If you want more info or have specific questions, leave them in the comments and I'll try to answer them in my next post.  It's been a pretty crazy month and I'm sure I've left a lot of information out.

4 comments:

  1. Continuing to pray for you. Glad you are home and healing. Yes, you are very blessed! You are a wonderful person and we love you. Hugs....T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to know that you're home and healing. And I'm glad to hear the party came to you. Great friends are the best! If you need/want anything from North Carolina, just yell and it'll be in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny I am glad you are home and I will continue to pray for a quick recovery. I am glad they brought the party to you. You are a special person and we love you.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenny... I love your stylish party hat!!! Glad things are going as well as they are. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete